Sunday, May 9, 2010

Paid in Love

“Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs... since the payment is pure love.”
-Mildred B. Vermont


Today, I was expecting sweet cards and kisses. I thought I might get breakfast made for me. I knew we would go to church and have some quality worship and family time together. And I wasn't disappointed. I got all of those things.

And then, I got more.

I had one of those moments with my 5 year old sweetheart today. One of those I'm-going-to-remember-this-moment-for-the-rest-of-my-life moments. I don't think I can even do it justice by describing it. So I'll just say it involved the most beautiful music box I've ever been given, a tender moment between my oldest son and I, where I almost felt time stand still, and some sweet words. After "the" moment, I looked down at him, and told him how much I loved being his mommy. He looked up at me with such pure sweetness, and with a bit of maturity replied, "I love being your son." My heart was bursting and I immediately thanked God for allowing me the sweet gift of motherhood.

Not to be outdone, his baby brother threw in a bit of his own tenderness and surprise for me today. He has never been one to throw his arms around our necks and squeeze us when he hugs. He does kiss us, and will hug our legs or lean in for a head bump, but usually when his daddy or I hug him, he just folds up in our arms and lets us do most of the squeezing. Not today. He was a full-on mama's boy today. Lots of BIG kisses. Lots of giggles and attention. And TONS of hugs. Real, arms around my neck, not lettin' you go hugs. It is the most amazing feeling. Ever.

Add to ALL of this my sweet husband putting together a slide show video of me with my boys, set to amazing music, and filled with beautiful quotes about how important mothers are...let's just say I feel very blessed. I love my life. I love my husband. I love my boys and am honored to be their mother. It's by far the best, most amazing thing I have ever done. I'll take a salary of being paid in hugs and kisses any day.

1 comment:

Ghee said...

There is nothing more important in a child's life than being nutured and lovingly trained by their mother. By giving of your time and yourself, you are giving them a priceless gift! They will always remember that their mother was there for them to share the ups and downs of their lives.. and they were her priority! My grandmother told me that there was nothing more important than that...she was a wise and Godly woman...and she was so absolutely right!!