Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Family Vacation Part 2

I think it's has taken me a couple of days to muster the energy to write this post because a) it's not the best memory of our little trip and b) well, I've been sick. Doesn't that always seem to happen after a trip?

So I left off with what a great time we were having in Midland at Aunt J's house. Wonderful food, great company, a private pool...what more can you ask for? Hmmmm, how about NO drama as you leave on the second part of your trip???

On Sunday morning, the hubby and I woke up early so that we could get dressed and packed before the boys woke up. We wanted to get out the door fairly early since we had another 5 hour drive ahead of us. As we were getting dressed, both boys ended up awake (unusual for being so early). Somehow, L ended up crawling to the edge of a bed he had been sitting on and dove head first onto the bare, brick floors. Cringe. It honestly still makes my stomach turn thinking about it. Long story short, L and I ended up in an ambulance and taking a ride to the Midland ER. This all happened around 7:30 a.m. so the ER was not busy at all. This was blessing #1. They got us straight into a room, and within a matter of minutes, a doctor was by our side. After a thorough check of L and his noggin, the doc discussed some options with us, and on his recommendation, we were taken off for an X-Ray. At this point, L was already terrified of anyone other than his daddy or me, so getting him to lay still (or should I say, the nurse and I holding him still) was not easy. Blessing #2 - no signs of a fracture or crack in his skull or any serious damage. BTW - we were able to see the xray pics come up on a screen as they were taken. His "little" head looked so big and his skull looked very thick. It was the first time we thanked God for making his head so big & hard! We left the hospital shaken, but very thankful it ended with just some bruising and a little swelling. It could have been much worse.

So after heading back to Aunt J's house, we ate an early lunch, made sure L was showing no signs of confusion (kinda hard with an infant btw) or upset tummy and finally left for NM. By this time, Grammy and Papa had met us at Aunt J's house and so off we went on the 2nd leg of our little family vacation. (Grammy and Papa volunteered to tag along to help with the boys so the hubby and I could have a little time to ourselves...which was much needed after all of this!)

The third blessing we discovered, is that our little guy heals FAST! His daddy nicknamed him baby wolverine because just two days after his fall, his bruise had already started to fade so much that you really could just see a light gray/light purple outline of it. Plus, more of it was in his hairline than we originally thought, and that helped cover it up too. At any rate, this kid has one tough noggin!

The picture of L below is after arriving at the resort in NM. This was roughly 12 hours after the fall. You can see the purple about an inch or two above his nose, kinda going a bit more to the left and it continued up into his hairline. I didn't take too many pictures of him up close on this day (I had to enlarge this one). Maybe my subconscious didn't want any reminders!

Yes, we made the boys get out for the traditional "crossing the state line" picture. Hey, this was L's first time out of the state of TX!

One of many pictures we took from our balcony. This just happened to be the first one that the hubby took so I thought I would share it here. There is a lake, golf course, casino, and obviously mountains at this resort. So pretty!

1 comment:

Janai Rogers said...

You really know how to leave a lasting memory! We loved having you and are ready to do it again!