Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hanging with the Hives

The past five days have probably some of the most uncomfortable for our little lovebug. At some point while he was sleeping Friday night, he broke out in hives. We were concerned when he woke up with them Saturday morning, primarily due to the fact he was on antibiotics at the time and we knew that could be a possible culprit. Turns out, after consulting three pediatricians and finally our pedi-allergist, they are all in agreement that it was the medicine. Unfortunate, as he'll never be able to take it again. However, we are so thankful it wasn't worse. 'Cause it could've been.
That's not to say it hasn't been quite trying. This picture is actually from tonight. The hives are in the "coming and going" phase, which is a nice change, since before today, they simply were just coming! So, so relieved to see them starting to fade. But just to demonstrate how annoying they can be, compare this pic to the one below. They were taken about 5 minutes apart. One minute, his face is clear. The next...
...it looks like this. I seriously put his pj shirt on him, he went into J's room, and then I noticed he was "changing." Sigh.
This pic is from Day 1. Little did we know how many more were to come.


Sunday night. Sunday and Monday were by far the worst days. By Tuesday morning, I was convinced my baby would look like this forever!!!


His little tush was one big hive (again from Sunday night). And I have some awful pics from Monday of his face (that's what made the tears come for me) that I don't even want to post b/c they are so sad and painful looking. By Monday, he was covered head to toe. Last night was a turning point, and one that I am EXTREMELY grateful for - I think I actually slept a few hours in a row!
Through it all, L has been such a trooper. He's only had a handful of moments. I think the meds are keeping his discomfort at bay, but there are times when I can just see that he's had it. Honestly, I would have too by now. He has kind of blown us away through this ordeal. Praying, for his sweet sake, they keep "going" and stop "coming" soon.

1 comment:

C. said...

Poor little guy! They look so uncomfortable, but he's still pretty darn handsome. Big hugs from his Aunt C - to all of you!!