The women in my family have been truly blessed. We have been blessed to have our mothers, grandmothers, and remarkably, great-grandmothers, around for many long, wonderful years. I know how special this is. And what I have learned from this is that besides being incredibly blessed to have had them in my life for so many years, it doesn’t make it any easier when it’s time to say good-bye.
Part of me thought my Granny would live forever. She lived the kind of life that keeps you young – traveling, being one with nature, sleeping under the stars. Sure, she dealt with stinky kids for a long, long time as a math teacher, but she started traveling even before she retired. She knew how to relax and de-stress, and once she did retire from school-teaching, I think there were years where she spent WAY more time outdoors than in. I know every time my sister and I would spend summers with her, we were on the go constantly...and we LOVED it! We would spend all day at the beach one day, then would swim for hours at the local college's olympic-sized pool, followed by endless shopping sprees. She would take us to see whatever movies we wanted to see and stuff us full of some fine mexican food at our favorite restaurant. She even took us to a really cool "drive-in" restaurant that I later realized was my first Sonic experience!!! And yes, she bought my sis and I our first (and only thank goodness) pair of parachute pants. It was the 80's, what can I say? I can only hope and pray to have as much energy as she did, for as long as she did.
It's been so difficult coming to terms with her being gone. I think because in the scheme of things, it seemed to have happened so quickly. I take joy in the fact that she knew both of my children, and that they truly loved her. And while dealing with my oldest son's grief brought a new layer to my own grieving process, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I know he will remember her - I lost a great-grandmother when I was around the same age, and I have sweet memories and still feel love for her. So while we are all incredibly sad, we'll keep Granny (aka. Gran-Gran) with us by sharing our memories of her and by loving each other. She blessed my sister and I with the best father we could ever ask for. And we'll always see her when we are at "her" beach, and think of her when we hear the birds singing sweetly to us and know that a part of her is still with us.
One of her best friends, Elsie, left this message for Granny:
All across Texas to the East Coast to The West Coast From Mexico to Costa Rico, to Trinidad to the south to Canada and Alaska to the north, we pitched our tents and made memories together to last a lifetime each one more precious than the one before. My confidant and good friend exploring the country and enjoying nature and the outdoors.
We will miss your gentle manner and great smile and awaiting joining you in our next grand adventure. May God Bless and keep you in His Hand.
Isaiah 41:10
![]() |
| Mildred Joyce - my Granny. I think this was taken around 1986, so pardon the darkness from scanning. This is how I remember her. :) |
![]() |
| Moody Gardens, the college years. Even as "big" kids, we still went to Granny's house for the summer! |
| One of J's first beach trips and my favorite picture of the two of them together. |
| Celebrating my Dad's 60th with Granny at Landry's on the Seawall in Galveston. |



1 comment:
Oh, sweet friend...what lovely and treasured memories your family has with your Gran-Gran. Our hearts still ache with yours, but what a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. Big, big hugs to all of you.
Post a Comment