Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sweet Child of God


Sometimes I get flustered with how sensitive my oldest boy is. He tends to cry when he gets hurt, even if it's just a stubbed toe. He gets very upset when those around him get angry, even if he's not involved. He has a tender heart, he doesn't like to hurt anyone's feelings and does NOT like to have his feelers hurt.

But most of the time, I thank God for making him just the way he is. I try to remind myself that his little personality was made just for him by God. Yes, his daddy and I are helping to mold and shape it, but ultimately, he is a child of God and I know that his sweet, sensitive personality will lead him to great things in his life.

I was reminded again today what a tender heart J has. As I have written here and most of our family knows, J loves to talk to God. Sometimes, he prefers that we say the words in the prayers, but he always reminds us to pray if we forget, and gently whispers what he wants to make sure we include.

Today, I caught J in a rare, precious moment. Without my guidance (and not at a "usual" prayer time), while sitting in his top bunk, he stretched his hands up to the ceiling. With his palms touching the ceiling and his eyes lifted up to the sky, J quietly said, "Dear God, Please help my tonsils let me sleep better. Amen."

Poor little thing is having his tonsils and adenoids removed on Sept. 22nd (due to them being enlarged and having obstructive sleep apnea). He knows about it, I've told him not to worry about it right now, that he'll have a couple of fun weeks of preschool before we need to worry about it. I thought it was out of sight, out of mind for him right now, but I guess not. While it did sadden me a bit that he is worrying about it, I was also lifted at the same time by his sweet, faithful spirit. How blessed we are!!!

1 comment:

C. said...

He is a sweet, precious little guy! The world needs tenders hearts like his. ;) We're so blessed, my friend. And yes, I'll remind you of this when he sneaks out for the first time...well, maybe he won't...nope, he will. Who else will look after EK? LOL!