Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Main Street Bethlehem

We traveled back in time earlier in December to Bethlehem. No, not the real one, but WOW! I have been hearing amazing things about this event for a few years, and we finally made time to get there this year. Caravaning with the Bird's and Ferguson's, we had a yummy dinner, bundled up and headed over for a glimpse of what it might have been like when our Saviour was born.

 All of our kids were excited, as were we! J couldn't wait to see Baby Jesus, and he talked about it all weekend before we went. (And to see WAY better pictures of our kids and even the grown ups from that night, go to our best bud's blog. My little point & shoot didn't do a great job as you will soon see!)

L was bundled up and ready to go as we anxiously waited in line to get in. I think our total wait was just under an hour, but thanks to good friends and a line that kept moving, it felt much faster than that!

 J and EK immediately found where to go to warm up as we entered the gates of Bethlehem. The church that puts this on every year pulls out all the stops - characters in costume and "in character" every which way you turn, live animals, real food that would have been eaten at the time, guards taking people to prison. It was all there.

We all enjoyed tasting the fresh, warm bread that was being baked.

 Inside a house, watching a family interact.

The kids all gathered around this man inside the synagogue. I was in the back so it was difficult to hear what he was saying, but J climbed right up beside him to get a better view (that's him in the black coat and cap!)


The outside of the basket weaving building. All of the buildings had similar signs and they all looked so REAL. I cannot imagine how long it takes the church members to set this all up.

 Weaving a basket.

 L loved this camel. He touched and petted it and didn't want to leave. J wanted no part!

 The boys and I knelt down to look at Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus. J didn't want to leave, he just wanted to sit and stare at them. It was so exciting for him, and if he could have, he would have gone right up to them and sat down. Probably why they have it blocked off! I think it was inspiring and touching for all of us, and I hope, the start of a new family tradition!!!

No comments: